Two days ago I went to the Woolloongabba Antiques Centre in Brisbane's south-east expecting nothing more but to enjoy coffee and baked goods with Daniel. When we finished up, Danny went to wait in the car (so he didn't get a parking fine) while I sped-browsed the vast collection of vintage goodies inside.
Fifteen minutes later I walked out with this cream coloured beauty under my arm and a cat-like grin on my face. This beautiful vintage dress cost me a mere $40 (almost unheard of in today's vintage market) and one quick try-on in the centre had assured me that it fit perfectly, and that little to no alterations were necessary.
I don't know much about this dress, except that it's a 1950's number and the previous owner must have been rather petite, as it's unconventionally short in length. Don't get me wrong, in modesty standards she's a demure above the knee garment (on me, anyway). But i suspect it was a lot longer on someone else.
The addictive thing about collecting vintage is that each individual item has a story.
My collection of true vintage certainly isn't brimming to the burst, if you know what I mean, but I do often wonder about the few things I've bought or been given. Who did they belong to? What was their story? What kind of experiences were they a part of? Were they loved and cherished?
I took a close up photo of my shoes to show the detail in the leather, but couldn't actually bare to include it as my feet/ankles looked so offensive. Does anyone else have a weird thing about feet? Mine are the narrow and bony variety.
What miraculous feats of luck have you had when buying vintage?
Warmest, Ali x




No comments:
Post a Comment