Monday, February 8, 2016

Here's to you, baby blue


I've been a big fan of Princess Highway's silk/cotton blouses since they first came in at work, and have several I rotate while the weather in Australia is balmy. Lately I've been pairing this buttercream polka-dot blouse with a powder blue cotton skirt I made, and have been loving the effect. The shape of the skirt and the slick black of the shoes makes it feel more 1940's than 50's to me, which is my favourite era of dress, whereas the scarf is a bit of a nod to the 50's. I just can't help fusing the two decades together. Oh well, we can't be traditionalists about everything, can we? No.


Every time I enter a secondhand store I seem to emerge with a scarf, and this scarf was definitely no exception. It is my greatest scarf, but for some reason I find it difficult to pair with things. I'm thankful it happened to be in the same shade range as the skirt. Although, really, you should be able to wear whatever the hell you want with whatever the hell you want. Right? 



This brooch is one of my favourites, and I love the pop of intense, cool blue it gives the buttercream coloured blouse. It was cleverly thrifted by my mum (thanks mum!). 

As for the skirt, I am really pleased with how it turned out. There are a couple of errors, but they are mostly hidden inside the skirt: outside, it looks clean, professional, and well-sewn. I have to say, my sewing is slowly improving, and I'm starting to take on more challenging tasks (ahem sheer fabrics!) all the time. But, as with all beginner-intermediate sewers, I sometimes make janky flaws that I try to inexpertly conceal, to the point where I'm disappointed in my work and I don't end up wearing the garment. I'm so glad that wasn't the case with this skirt. 


These black polished leather moccasin heels were a $7 bargain I found in a Vinnies store in Tweed Heads. They pinch a little at the toe, but i feel as though that's because i haven't worn them in properly. I intend on wearing them a lot in winter with sheer seamed stockings and skirts. They do play off a nice 40's vibe. 


I love this cream beaded cardigan as well, it is so 1950's it hurts, and was a hand-me-down from my best friend. I'm looking forward to the day when I can really wear this, not just for an outfit post, without sweating in the sweltering Brisbane heat. But for now, it is merely decorative.


What are your summer wardrobe staples? Do you have any sewing projects on the go?
Warmest, Ali xx

No comments:

Post a Comment